Wednesday, December 28, 2011

What a Crazy 2011!

I'd love to post pictures if I could just find the computer cord in the many many boxes that are scattered around the house. There would be no need for words if you could just see the pictures of our last two months. We bought a little old house in Carlstadt Nj. And when I say old, I really mean old, as in the need to renovate every room...while living here.

Renovating while pregnant and working full time has been quite the experience....I don't want empathy, sympathy or maybe some of you even might envy a renovation, I just need someone to vent to, even if it is my computer!

First week- no heat, furnace is from the 60's, lucky for us PSE&G had the part we needed and we now just have to cross our fingers that it will last through out the winter. The first week every night was spent in the back room so at least we had one room to sleep in that was decent. We could set up our bed and we wouldn't have to camp anymore, yhea! that chore, accomplished, although not a 100%. Macy still camping out on the floor!

Second week- demolishing the kitchen, cabinets, walls appliances all need to be out! alot of work and a lot of heavy duty garbage bags.

Third/fourth week- still gutting kitchen and trying to make walls in front room ready to be painted. tearing off trim, molding, wall paper, spackling holes and washing walls. Tearing off the carpet on the stairs because I couldn't look at it any longer.
And then here it comes....the electrical work, two full days of two guys working till 1 in the morning and still they weren't nearly done...next day, two guys got fired...can't deal with that anymore, hired a guy from our town and the job was done in five hours. Thank goodness! plumbing came next after a week of the guy putting us off because other people needed heat, can you imagine lol! I let it slide but was glad when he made it to our house and finished his job!
Bob and I then ripped up the floor, two layers of linoleum and a layer of tile.

Fifth/sixth week- Doug came to save the day, or rest of the year I should say. Bob's dad flew out to help out and to keep me from having a total nervous breakdown, he's been here for a week and the kitchen now has walls, a vent for the oven and a sub floor. We have a new outside door and window that doesn't leak. Did I mention however, that it was raining in our kitchen last night, needless to say...here's to a new roof, cheers!!

I've learned that as many trials come your way, I don't think I'll ever learn enough patience to renovate another house EVER again. HGTV and DIY make it look so fun and easy, let me tell you something it's all lies, its not easy and not fun! (I actually thought deep down that those people would miraculously come and transform our house instantly into something beautiful, I had a hard time living in reality) It's a lot of sleeping on the floor, eating out for months on end, dressing from boxes and suitcases day after day while trying to look halfway decent for work. It's a lot of exercise running up and down the stairs because the only working sink is upstairs or in the basement. It's been hard, stressful, emotional... alot of tears, but I know it will all be worth it one day and when I'm sitting on my rug
( cause by now I don't think I'll have my dream couches quite yet ) I will look at all the hard work and be so grateful that I have such a hard working husband that's determined and deligent to keep going through the many, many rough days we had, putting up with two emotional girls, especially me and getting us through this crazy stage of our lives. He is the most positive person I know and always keeps us smiling through all the hard long yucky days. I couldn't get through this without him! and when we're all done he'll say..... I told you it'd look great!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Congratulations! I missed the baby news until now. Good luck with the house....I'm not nearly that brave. I'm sure it will be beautiful when you are done. Post pictures of your progress.

Robyn said...

I did not know you are pregnant either. That is wonderful news! But I have to admit that renovating a house at the same time sounds like a nightmare. You are a tough chick. Remember "Fight Like a Brave!" I know, I totally cheesy. I can't help myself. I look forward to pictures of your newly renovated home and a baby. Good luck finding those cords!

inkley boys said...

Uugghh sounds like a mess but look how far you have come and it will only get better!!! Love ya can't wait to see it.